For all you quesadilla lovers out there, we’ve got the perfect meal for you! This delicious, hearty recipe from Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes puts a healthy twist on the classic quesadilla dish.
With veggies, beans, and a hefty serving of salsa all in one dish, this is sure to become your family’s next weeknight favorite.
Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- (2) 10″ flour tortillas
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- Dab of vegan butter (about 1 tsp)
For the quesadilla filling
- 1 small / medium sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 1 tsp Smoky Paprika Chipotle seasoning (optional: make your own spice blend of chilli pepper including chipotle, cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic, sea salt, onion, Demerara sugar, natural mesquite smoke flavor)
- 1/2 cup pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp Chipotle olive oil or standard olive oil
- Salt to taste
For the black bean spread
- 2 cups black beans, drained & rinsed
- Juice 1 lime
- 7-10 dashes Cholula chipotle hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- Vegan sour cream
- Steam the sweet potato using a steamer basket on the stove or in the microwave. Once the sweet potato is fork tender, place in a medium bowl. Add chipotle seasoning and salt to taste.
- Using a rubber spatula or potato masher, mash the sweet potato and set aside.
- While the sweet potato is steaming, heat a medium sauté pan over a medium to high heat and drizzle olive oil into the pan.
- Add the chopped pepper, corn and sliced shallots along with a little bit of salt. Sauté until the peppers and shallots begin to soften and caramelize. Remove from the heat.
- In the bowl of your food processor fitted with an S blade, add the black beans, lime juice, salt and Cholula chipotle hot sauce. Process until black bean spread is smooth — about 1-2 minutes.
- Lay your tortillas out on your kitchen surface. Spread half of each tortilla with the sweet potato mash and the other side of the tortilla with the black bean spread.
- Layer the veggie mix equally over the black bean side of the tortilla and then layer baby spinach over the sweet potato.
- Bring the side of the tortilla together as if you are closing a book, repeat with the other tortilla.
- Using the same pan as you sautéed your veggies in or a griddle, heat a dab of vegan butter at a medium heat. Place one quesadilla in the pan and cook until golden brown, then flip and cook the other side the same. About 2 minutes per side – repeat with other quesadilla.
- Remove from pan, cut quesadilla into 3 triangles and serve with your favorite salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream or chives. Enjoy!