Pillowy soft vegan and gluten-free homemade gnocchi made from sweet potato, flour and salt
Whip these up to serve with pasta sauce or vegetables and salads for an impressive, wholesome and comforting meal. Check out Nourishing Amy for more tips on how to turn the cooking gnocchi into a vibrant salad.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 300g sweet potato flesh (about 2 medium-large potatoes)
- 200-240g GF flour (or plain flour)
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil, optional
1. If you need to prepare the sweet potatoes: preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C. Stab the sweet potatoes with a knife and bake in the oven for 40-60 minutes until tender. Allow the potatoes to cool and then thoroughly mash the flesh until smooth. Measure out 300g.
2. Add the sweet potato to a bowl with 200g flour and a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together with your hands. Add more flour as needed to form a thick and dry dough. Knead gently until smooth – for less than 1 minute.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece into thin logs about 2cm diameter. Cut each log into roughly 6 pieces about 2cm. Use a fork to press grooves into the gnocchi.
4. Cook the gnocchi straight away or keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days or in the freezer.
5. To cook, bring a pan of salted water to boil. Add the gnocchi in small batches and allow to cook about 2 minutes. The gnocchi is done when it floats to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and continue to cook the rest of the batch.
6. Optional: heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and add the gnocchi. Fry until golden brown, it will take a couple of minutes only.