WASHINGTON, DC — D.C. is home to two of the top pizzerias in the country, according to The Daily Meal. The site for foodies recently released its list of the 101 Best Pizzas in America for 2020, including two in the District.
While The Daily Meal incorporates variety in its list, there is some common ground among its top selections for a slice, according to the editors.
The Daily Meal considered nearly 1,000 pizzas and looked for qualities like nuanced sauce, well-distributed cheese, flavorful crusts and overall balance of ingredients.
“All have many of the qualities you’d expect in an above-standard pie,” the editors wrote: “Saucy, cheesy slices of heaven with a doughy-yet-crispy crust and a nice flop, along with a respectable amount of grease — just enough to get the job done.”
Here are the two D.C. pizzerias on this year’s Daily Meal list:
- No. 96 — Pizza Paradiso offers wood-fired pizza that boasts low-rise, hand-worked dough toped with extra virgin olive oil and a vibrant mix of fixings. The Daily Meal praised the restaurant’s Quattro Formaggi, calling it a menu standout. Pizza Paradiso has three locations in the District: 2003 P St., N.W., Washington, DC 20036; 4850 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016; and 3282 M St NW, Washington, DC 20007.
- No. 95 — Timber Pizza Company offers a menu that is short and sweet. According to The Daily Meal, the pizzeria’s most coveted pie — The Bently — features tomato sauce, a blend of provolone and mozzarella, cured chorizo, soppressata, Peruvian sweet peppers and spicy honey. Timber Pizza Company is located at 809 Upshur St., N.W., Washington DC 20011.
Since 2012, The Daily Meal has sought to separate out regular pizza from great pizza.
The 101 Best Pizzas in America list is culled from what The Daily Meal calls “internal expertise” as well as sources who pored over Yelp and other review sites, news coverage and reader feedback.
Here are the top 10 overall pizzas in America for 2020, according to The Daily Meal:
10. Piece (Chicago, Illinois)
9. Sally’s Apizza (New Haven, Connecticut)
8. Lucali (Brooklyn, New York)
7. Santarpio’s (Boston, Massachusetts)
6. Buddy’s Pizza (Detroit, Michigan)
5. Slim & Husky’s Pizza Beeria (Nashville, Tennessee)
4. Razza Pizza Artigianale (Jersey City, New Jersey)
3. John’s of Bleecker Street (New York City, New York)
2. Pequod’s (Chicago, Illinois)
1. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana (New Haven, Connecticut)
This year, the editors said they took “special care to highlight pizzerias from all parts of the country, as well as female- and Black-owned businesses.”